The University Club of Indiana University
As one reads the archival records of the University Club it is apparent that the roots of the Club reach back to its hard-working ancestors, the Constituent Clubs. The first of those, the Men’s Faculty Club, was founded in 1912 with James Woodburn, Professor of History, as chairman. The Men’s Faculty Club purchased the beautiful T.C. Steele painting which proudly hangs in the Presidents’ Room.
On May 22, 1913, a garden party was held at the home of Mrs. C.H. Eigenmann and there the Faculty Women’s club, a social organization of University women, faculty, and faculty wives, was voted into existence. The Club, later to become known as the University Women’s Club, became a strong group sharing in civic activities, interest groups, and stimulating social and intellectual events.
When the Men’s Faculty Club took up quarters in 1932 in the men’s Union, (back then the Union building was exclusively a men’s union), the faculty Women formed their own group with a social format. That group expanded into the Women’s Faculty and Professional Staff club, the only University organization devoted exclusively to women faculty and professional staff. Social and informational programs were scheduled throughout the year.
The newly printed history of the University Club is now available for pick up at any club event. This 24 page long booklet contains important chapters of the Club’s existence since the establishment of the Men’s Faculty Club in 1912, through the incorporation in 1959 to present.
The history has been researched and written by Kenneth Beckley, Co-Past President, University Club 2020-21. Published in October 2021 and dedicated to the memory of Co-Past President, Audrey Beckley, who died of the coronavirus August 19, 2020.
The University Women’s Club & The Luncheon Club
With these three Clubs as a foundation and under the inventive guidance of Dr. Herman B Wells, the University Club was formed in 1959 as an umbrella organization. More recently, changes and mergers have resulted in the two present Constituent clubs. we find under the University Club umbrella today; The University Women’s Club and the Luncheon Club.
Both the University Club and the University Women’s Club are administered by their own board of directors. The programming provided by the Constituent clubs offers members a wide range of social and intellectual interaction through tours, lectures, musical events, dinners, luncheons, and interest groups.
As a facility, the Clubrooms occupy parts of two floors of the Memorial Union building. The main entrance is just across the event hall from the Whittenberger Auditorium. The Club is privately incorporated and is not a part of the University’s organization. Rooms are commodious and inviting and may be reserved for business and personal use.
Membership is open to faculty, staff, and community residents. Members are the essential ingredient in our Club’s existence. It is the diverse mix of members who give our programming and facilities such heart and soul. Member participation does make a difference and we strive to continue the fine tradition that is the legacy of the University Club.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact University Club of Indiana University for questions about room availability, club events, booking a party or wedding venues.